I’m not normally one for fads, but I’ve been giving a lot of thought to creating a bucket list: a collection of items, experiences, and life scenarios I want to take part in before I die. It’s not that I feel the need to document or share my private aspirations, per sey; more so, I know I won’t follow through with many of them unless I make them a priority in my life. And what better way to prioritize something in your life than a to-do list, right?
While this isn’t a complete list and I expect it to evolve as I grow, mature, and my family dynamics change, here are just a few things I want to experience before I die:
- Go skydiving. I want to experience what it feels like to fall from Heaven. I want to experience real fear, real exhilaration, and real weightlessness.
- Give $1,000 to a stranger. I want to do a random act of kindness that does more than fill a belly once, or warm their hands for a few minutes. I want to give a gift that can actually help someone improve their status, and $1,000 is enough for a few new outfits, a month of rent, and an electric bill. It could be the fresh start someone needs to change their whole world.
- Visit Thailand. I want to experience a culture and a world that is completely different from my own. I want new smells, new sights, and new tastes. I want to visit a place that changes me completely, and brings new respect and love for the many blessings I have.
- Run a marathon. I’ve said this countless times, but always fall short. I’ve never registered for one (despite saying I would), and it’s time I finally put my money where my mouth is.
- Participate in the real Oktoberfest. No explanation needed.
- Attend an Olympic Games event. It would be amazing to witness the culmination of a person’s life passion in application, and I’d love the excuse to visit a new location in the process.
- Go to a Community/Communal Bathhouse in Europe. I want to be surrounded by people at home in their bodies and comfortable with their nudity; perhaps it will rub off.
- Learn to ski. As a Floridian, my exposure to snow has been limited, at best. I would love to try out a sport that so many people across the world enjoy.
- Get my Doctorate. I’ve always wanted to be Dr. Webster(-Perez).
- Take a train ride across the U.S. I want to experience the United States from the retro-comfort of a passenger cabin. All the joys of are a road trip, all the comforts of a plane.
- Visit the Louvre. Over 6,000 pieces of art spanning 650,000 square feet of space. Yes, yes, and more yes.
- Take the Rim-to-Rim hike at the Grand Canyon. Combining my love of the outdoors, physicality, and one of the world’s most beautiful natural phenomena, this is a definite for my bucket list.
- Spread my father’s ashes on the Blue Ridge Mountains. I’ve held on to them for almost a decade. It’s time to return my father to his home.
- Learn to crotchet. Both my mother and grandmother can do it, and yet I’ve never asked them to teach me. I need to remedy that before the art form is lost to our family!
- Take a whale-watching cruise. I’d love to witness these beautiful creatures in their natural habitat.
- Donate blood regularly. I’m ashamed to admit I haven’t donated blood in years. After one bad experience (they collapsed a vein, which was quite painful), I’ve avoided it for over a decade. I realize how many people I’m denying of a life-saving gift due to my fear, and I’d like to go back to a habit of donating 3-4 times per year.
I’m sure I have many more items I’ll add to this list in the coming years, but this is a good starting point and I believe I can accomplish all of them in the next few years with a little planning and saving on my part.
Oh, and before I forget to count my blessings, here are a few things I have checked off of my Bucket List in the last few years:
Seeing the (NYE) ball drop in Times Square.(Accomplished December 31st, 2014 – January 1st, 2015)
Flying in a hot air balloon.(Accomplished August 2013)
Visit Chicago.(Accomplished May 2014) Get nominated for a Pushcart Literary Award.(Accomplished January 2015)
Graduate as Valedictorian. (Accomplished October 4th, 2013).
Marry my soulmate.(Accomplished April 13th, 2007)
What’s on YOUR bucket list?
Thanks for reading,
~ Victoria Elizabeth